Reflecting on 2019 with 2020 Vision
Looking Back on a Year of Change and Growth
If 2019 could be summed up in one word, it would be “energizing.” We spent the past several years taking a hard look at who we are, who we want to be, and what we do best. In 2019, the strategies we have been putting in place to live up to those ideals began to take root in meaningful ways—to the benefit of our clients and Associates.
More specifically, we are refining our culture of continuous improvement and continuous learning. We are a best-in-class contractor and we want to be the first choice for prospective employees and clients. No matter the goal or objective, we are always seeking a better way.
That means we can never rest on our past successes. We have always championed the client experience. But by embracing a culture of continuous improvement, we are constantly seeking to enhance processes, reduce risk, remove waste, and deliver better outcomes, from our job sites to our back-office functions.
As I look back on the year, I see these improvement initiatives woven throughout everything we’ve accomplished—and everything we are looking forward to in 2020 and beyond. So before jumping into the highlights that helped make 2019 a banner year for Miller-Valentine, I’d like to thank our clients for their trust and our Associates for their support. Together, we are shaping the regions where we work and live in big ways.
We Completed More Than 60 Projects Totaling More Than 4.3 Million Square Feet in 10 States
Notable project completions included:
- A 300,000 square foot manufacturing expansion for FESTO in Mason, Ohio
- A new 74,400 square foot corporate headquarters for Rumpke in Colerain Township, Ohio
- Two projects located in Columbus totaling 876,000 SF for NorthPoint Development
- AG47, a 204 unit luxury apartment community in Silverton, OH
- Multiple Projects for Pratt Industries, totaling over 343,000 SF
- Climate Controlled Self Storage Facilities in Knoxville, TN and Murrells Inlet totaling 191,750 SF
Notable project starts included:
- The renovation of the Dayton Motor Car Building, which is breathing new life into the Oregon East district in Dayton, Ohio
- 150,000 SF production and product development expansion project for Henny Penny in Eaton, Ohio
- A 120,000 SF office expansion for Total Quality Logistics in Union Township, Ohio
- A 667,720 SF expansion for Pratt Industries in Wapakoneta
- A processing facility for Domino’s Pizza in West Columbia, South Carolina
We continue to work with repeat clients, including:
- NorthPoint Development
- Pratt Industries
- Projects Unlimited
We Made Great Strides in Our Lean Integrated Project Delivery Journey
In step with our desire to continually learn and improve, lean principles and the integrated project delivery (IPD) model are becoming a core part of our construction strategy. In 2019, our focus on lean IPD received a boost with the hire of Greg Fox, vice president of lean construction. Greg will help us to formalize, strengthen, and expand our lean IPD strategy.
We Burnished Our Military Hiring and Safety Credentials
In August, we were named a Military Friendly® Employer for the eighth year in a row, joining only 290 employers across the country to earn this prestigious designation. It is a third-party confirmation of our support for members of the military, veterans and their families.
And in November, we were recertified as an OSHA Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) at the “Star” level—the highest possible designation. The VPP recognizes employers and workers that implement safety and health management systems that go above and beyond baseline OSHA regulations.
We Recommitted to Downtown Dayton
In October, we moved into our new headquarters in downtown Dayton. It’s a beautiful space that is full of energy and growth—and it will be a great recruitment tool as we seek to fill open positions.
We Improved Our Ability to Hire and Retain the Industry’s Best Talent
Speaking of recruitment, we continued to enhance our competitive compensation program so we can attract and retain the best and brightest talent. To that end, we:
- Increased our 401K match and our vacation offerings
- Launched a wellbeing initiative to offer mental, emotional, physical, and financial wellness resources and support
- Offered a paid day off on Veteran’s Day for our veterans and an employer-paid short-term disability benefit for all Associates
We Focused Our Community Outreach on Building Dreams
As part of our ongoing effort to apply a focus to the areas where we excel, we focused our community support efforts on helping the underserved find a pathway to a brighter future through the construction industry. As a result, we launched MVGives, an initiative to provide our Associates with an opportunity for hands-on interaction with organizations in our three key markets. Associates have become personally involved in the following organizations through volunteer activities:
- Adopt A Class (Cincinnati, Ohio)
- Rebuilding Together Dayton (Dayton, Ohio)
- Bernard Project (South Carolina)
Additional nonprofits we supported include:
- Good Samaritan Hospital Foundation
- Cincinnati Wine Festival
- YWCA (Dayton/Cincinnati)
- American Cancer Society
- Green Beret Foundation
- Dayton History
- United Way
- Make a Wish
Watch for More Growth in 2020
I am so excited to continue our momentum into the new year. Watch for new multifamily luxury concepts to be developed, built, and owned by Miller-Valentine. We’ll see more work in the logistics and warehousing sectors, driven by e-commerce. And we’ll continue our market expansion in such high-growth cities as Columbus, Ohio, and Lexington, Kentucky.
If you don’t already, be sure to follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter. And don’t hesitate to contact us: 877-684-7687 | [email protected] if 2020 promises new growth for you, as well.